Take an exotic escape to a tropical locale with this marvelous meal. Scallops — which are quick-cooking shellfish that are effortless to season — are tossed with a zesty lime cilantro marinade.
Spicy jalapenos add heat, juicy pineapple provides a sweetness, and chunks of avocado yield a creamy coolness. If you don't have an indoor grill pan, roast the skewers in the oven until scallops turn opaque.
This is a great dish to break out of a weeknight recipe rut, so get it now when you
- 2 tsp. finely shredded lime peel
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1/4 cup snipped fresh cilantro
- 2 small green and/or red jalapeño pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 tsp. sugar
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 16 sea scallops (about 1-1/2 lb.)
- 12 large fresh pineapple chunks
- 1 avocado, peeled, pitted, and cut into 8 chunks
- In a small bowl combine lime peel, lime juice, cilantro, jalapeno, sugar, salt, and pepper. Slowly whisk in oil until combined; set aside.
- In a large bowl combine scallops, pineapple, and avocado. Toss with 2 tablespoons of the lime juice mixture. Let stand for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Do not marinate longer, or scallops will get tough.
- Alternately thread 4 scallops, 3 pineapple chunks and 2 avocado chunks on each of 4 12- to 16-inch skewers.
- Grill kabobs on a well-greased grill rack directly over medium-high heat for about 8 minutes or until scallops turn opaque, turning once halfway through grilling. Transfer kabobs to a serving platter and serve with remaining lime juice mixture.
- Main Dishes, Shellfish