If you've never had pizza with a cornmeal crust, I highly recommend you give this recipe a try. It's a simple technique that combines precooked polenta with water and flour until it makes a dough like consistency. The crust is prebaked before being topped with tomato sauce, red peppers, and green onions. To take a look at this scrumptious, vegetarian pizza,
2 18-oz. pkg. precooked polenta
2 Tbs. water
2 Tbs. cornstarch
2 Tbs. unbleached all-purpose flour
1 Tbs. granulated garlic
1/2 cup plus 1/3 cup soy Parmesan cheese
2 cups tomato sauce from 25-oz. jar, reserving remainder
4 slices soy Canadian bacon, cut into 2-inch strips
1/2 medium red bell pepper, sliced into 2-inch strips
3 scallions, thinly sliced tops with 2 inches of green
- Preheat oven to 450F. Spray pizza pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Slice polenta, and place in food processor. Process polenta, and add water, cornstarch, flour, garlic and 1/2 cup soy Parmesan cheese. Blend until smooth. Spread polenta evenly on pizza pan.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Remove polenta from oven, and spread 2 cups sauce evenly over polenta crust.
- Top with sliced soy bacon, bell peppers, scallions and remaining 1/3 cup soy Parmesan cheese.
- Bake 25 minutes more. Remove from oven, and let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
- Main Dishes, Pizza