I'm always looking for creative ways to transform ordinary ingredients. For example, this recipe takes frozen, breakfast hash browns and uses them as a crust on salmon fillets! The hash browns are seasoned with fresh herbs before being pressed onto the salmon. A lightly dressed herb salad is served on the side, making this an innovative and delicious meal. To get the recipe — it comes together in a quick half an hour — read more.
4 cups frozen shredded potatoes (hash browns), thawed and squeezed dry
2 tablespoons snipped chives
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
Salt and freshly ground pepper
Four 8-ounce skinless salmon fillets
1 cup vegetable oil
1 1/2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
4 ounces herb salad mix (6 cups)
- In a medium bowl, toss the potatoes with the chives and flour and season with salt and pepper.
- Lay the salmon fillets on a work surface and season with salt and pepper. Evenly pat the shredded potatoes onto the top of each fillet.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat the oil until shimmering. Carefully add the salmon fillets to the oil, potato side down, and cook over moderately high heat, undisturbed, until browned, about 8 minutes.
- Carefully flip the salmon and cook for 1 minute longer. Using a slotted spatula, transfer the salmon to plates. Blot off any excess oil.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, whisk the lemon juice, mustard and olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Add the herb salad mix and toss to coat. Transfer the salad and salmon to plates and serve.