Like the grilled cheese, a quesadilla is the ultimate quick-cooking meal. Toss in leftovers and whatever cheese you have on hand and the results are miraculously and consistently scrumptious. In this vegetarian version, the Tex-Mex staple goes gourmet. Yukon gold potatoes provide a richness while pepper jack cheese packs a spicy punch.
To create a flavorful, healthy sauce, a store-bought tomatillo salsa is pureed with mustard greens. Serve this delicious dish to your family this evening: read more.
1 1/3 cups 1/2-inch cubes peeled Yukon Gold potatoes (about 2 medium)
2 teaspoons chili powder
1 1/3 cups (packed) coarsely grated hot pepper Monterey Jack cheese (5 to 6 ounces)
1 1/3 cups jarred salsa verde (tomatillo salsa)
4 2/3 cups coarsely chopped stemmed mustard greens (from 1 bunch), divided
4 8-inch-diameter flour tortillas
3 ounces chilled fresh goat cheese, coarsely crumbled
- Place baking sheet in oven and preheat to 275°F.
- Steam potatoes until tender, about 8 minutes.
- Place in large bowl; sprinkle with salt, pepper, and chili powder. Toss to coat. Cool potatoes 15 minutes. Mix in Jack cheese.
- Meanwhile, blend salsa and 2/3 cup (packed) greens in processor until greens are finely chopped.
- Arrange tortillas on work surface. Divide remaining greens between bottom half of each. Top greens with potato mixture, then goat cheese and 2 tablespoons salsa mixture for each. Fold plain tortilla halves over filling, pressing to compact. Brush with oil.
- Heat large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Place 2 quesadillas, oiled side down, in skillet.
- Brush tops with oil. Cook until quesadillas are brown, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer to sheet in oven to keep warm. Repeat with remaining 2 quesadillas.
- Cut each quesadilla into 3 or 4 wedges. Serve with remaining salsa.
Makes 4 quesadillas.
Nutritional Information: One serving contains the following: Calories (kcal) 448.58; % Calories from Fat 46.6; Fat (g) 23.21; Saturated Fat (g) 12.78; Cholesterol (mg) 49.48; Carbohydrates (g) 39.59; Dietary Fiber (g) 5.82; Total Sugars (g) 5.05; Net Carbs (g) 33.76; Protein (g) 21.77
- Potatoes, Main Dishes