Still wondering what to serve your sweetie for dinner tomorrow night? Well how about a delicious, balanced meal complete with chicken, risotto, and greens? The risotto is cooked in red wine giving it a delightful, deep-purple color and rich, layered flavor.
The chicken is flash-marinated in a balsamic-Worcestershire mixture before being seared on a grill pan. The entire dish is topped with shredded spinach and arugula making for a meal that is indulgent, yet healthy. To check out the recipe,
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon grill seasoning, such as McCormick Montreal Steak Seasoning
- 6 skinless, boneless chicken thighs (about 1½ pounds total)
- 1 ounce dried porcini mushrooms
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 cups arborio rice
- 2 cups Barolo (dry Italian) red wine (two-thirds of a bottle)
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh rosemary (about 4 sprigs)
- 2 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano or Pecorino Romano cheese
- 2 cups arugula, shredded
- 2 cups baby spinach, shredded
- Preheat a grill or a grill pan to medium-high. In a shallow dish, combine the balsamic vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, 3 tablespoons of the oil and the grill seasoning. Add the chicken thighs and turn to coat evenly with the marinade.
- In a small saucepan, heat the dried mushrooms and chicken broth over medium-low heat.
- In a large skillet, heat the remaining olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion, season with salt and pepper and cook for a couple of minutes to soften.
- Add the rice, stir to coat and cook for 1 minute.
- Add half of the wine; when it has been absorbed by the rice, stir in the remaining wine and the rosemary. When all of the wine is absorbed, ladle in some of the mushroom broth.
- Place the marinated chicken thighs on the grill and cook for 7 to 8 minutes on the first side and for 5 to 6 minutes on the reverse side.
- Add a ladle of the mushroom broth to the risotto every few minutes, stirring occasionally and cooking until absorbed.
- Remove the softened mushrooms from the broth and chop; add to the risotto. Cook the risotto until creamy and al dente, 20 to 22 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in the butter and cheese.
- Thinly slice the grilled chicken. Divide the risotto among shallow bowls and top each serving with the arugula, spinach and sliced chicken.
- Poultry, Main Dishes