Ever since I made potato latkes, I've been seriously craving crisp flat potatoes. This recipe for a salad topped with potato and apple pancakes will definitely satiate my hunger. Endive and green leaf lettuce are tossed with a smooth sour cream dressing. Grated apples, potatoes, and onions are mixed with parsley and bread crumbs to make a flavorful and crunchy pancake. Take a look at the recipe when you
1/3 cup sour cream
1/4 cup milk
2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives or scallion tops
1/4 teaspoon wine vinegar
1 3/4 teaspoons salt
1 1/4 teaspoons fresh-ground black pepper
1 pound baking potatoes (about 2), peeled
3 tart apples, such as Granny Smith, cored
1 small onion
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
2 eggs, beaten to mix
1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
2 to 3 tablespoons cooking oil
1 small head curly endive (about 3/4 pound), torn into bite-size pieces (about 2 1/2 quarts)
1 small head red- or green-leaf lettuce (about 1/2 pound), torn into bite-size pieces (about 1 1/2 quarts)
- In a small glass or stainless-steel bowl, combine the sour cream, milk, chives, vinegar, 1/2 teaspoon of the salt, and 1/4 teaspoon of the pepper. Mix well and set aside.
- In a food processor with a grating attachment, grate the potatoes, 1 1/2 of the apples, and the onion. Transfer to a large bowl and stir in the parsley, eggs, bread crumbs, and the remaining 1 1/4 teaspoons salt and 1 teaspoon pepper.
- In a large nonstick frying pan, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil over moderate heat. Form the potato mixture into twelve pancakes about 21/2 inches wide and 1/2-inch thick, using about 1/4 cup of the mixture for each.
- Cook the pancakes in batches, turning once, until crisp and golden, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Keep the cooked pancakes warm in a 200° oven on a baking sheet lined with paper towels until the last batch is done. Use 1 tablespoon of oil for each batch.
- Cut the remaining apples into thin slices. Put them in a large bowl along with the greens. Add all but 2 tablespoons of the dressing and toss.
- Arrange the salad on plates and top with the pancakes. Drizzle the remaining dressing over the pancakes.