For a south of the border twist on vegetarian pasta, make this delicious and simple dish tonight. Ingredients that are not usually associated with pasta — such as chipotle chilis and fresh corn — make for an exciting and flavorful taste experience. Goat cheese pairs perfectly in this mix of Mexican meets Italian. For a dinner that can be ready in the amount of time it takes to make pasta,
12 oz. penne pasta
1 dried chipotle chile, soaked in hot water 10 minutes, or 1 chile from 4-oz. can chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
2 Tbs. olive oil, divided
2 cloves garlic, minced (about 2 tsp.)
1 4-oz. log goat cheese, plus more for crumbling and sprinkling, if desired
1/3 cup chopped cilantro
2 cups halved cherry tomatoes
2 cups fresh or frozen corn kernels
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, remove seeds from chipotle chile and finely chop.
- Heat 1 Tbs. oil in skillet over medium-low heat. Add chile and garlic, and sauté 1 minute, or until fragrant. Stir in goat cheese and 1/3 cup water, and cook 2 to 3 minutes, or until smooth sauce forms, stirring constantly. Simmer 2 minutes more, then remove from heat and add cilantro and remaining 1 Tbs. olive oil.
- Drain pasta, and return to pot. Add tomatoes, corn, and cheese sauce. Season to taste with salt and pepper, and transfer to warm serving bowl.
- Toss in extra goat cheese crumbles, if desired.
Nutrition Facts: PER SERVING: 527 CAL; 19G PROT; 15G TOTAL FAT; 79G CARB; 13MG CHOL; 411MG SOD; 4G FIBER; 8G SUGARS