This delicious meal is no good for a date - the name alone implies that things may get messy. Not only is it a pileup of ingredients, but it's a mix-mash of classic dishes. What do you get when you combine pizza, nachos, pita chips and dip with seasoned chicken breasts?? Why a southwestern chicken pileup of course! This dinner comes together quickly with the help of your grill, the oven, and store bought red pepper hummus. Perfect for calming the stress of a midweek meltdown, pair with a cold beer or chilled glass of rose. Enjoy this healthy, filling, flavor-bursting treat tonight. Just read more
1 teaspoon salt-free Mexican or Southwest seasoning
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1 small (1/4 pound) boneless, skinless chicken breast, trimmed visible fat
1 whole-wheat pita (6 1/2" diameter)
2 tablespoons hummus, preferably red-pepper flavor
2 tablespoons no-salt-added canned black beans, drained
Several red onion strips
Several red bell pepper strips
2 tablespoons chopped tomato
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves
2 tablespoons finely shredded Light Cheddar Cheese
4 teaspoons guacamole or fat-free sour cream (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 450°F. Preheat a grill to high heat.
- Sprinkle the seasoning and garlic powder evenly over the chicken. Place the chicken on the grill rack. Reduce the heat to medium. (If it is not possible to reduce the heat, cook the chicken away from direct heat.) Grill for 3 to 5 minutes per side, or until no longer pink and the juices run clear. Transfer to a cutting board and let stand for 5 minutes. Chop the chicken into bite-sized pieces. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, place the pita on the grill rack. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes per side, or until lightly toasted.
- Place the pita on a nonstick baking sheet. Spread evenly with the hummus.
- Top evenly in layers with the beans, the reserved chicken, onion, red pepper, tomato, cilantro, and cheese.
- Bake for 6 to 8 minutes, or until the cheese is melted. Let stand for 5 minutes.
- Transfer to a serving plate. Slice into 4 wedges. Top each wedge with a teaspoon of guacamole or sour cream, if desired.
Per Serving: 356 calories, 38 g protein, 38 g carbohydrates, 6g fat (1 g saturated), 68 mg cholesterol, 8 g fiber, 489 mg sodium