This recipe gives the classic steak sandwich a healthy makeover. Broiled steak is tossed with a crunchy cucumber-romaine salad before being stuffed into a whole wheat pita. A simple dressing made with mustard, lemon juice, and olive oil adds a fresh moistness to the sandwich. For a vegetarian variation, substitute mushroom caps for the steak. A great on-the-go meal, these pitas are perfect for those nights when there isn't time to sit at the table. To learn how to make it, read more.
1/4 cup lemon juice
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
Freshly ground pepper to taste
1 pound top round steak, 1 1/2 inches thick, trimmed
4 cups romaine lettuce, chopped
1 medium cucumber, diced
1 large tomato, diced
8 4-inch whole-wheat pitas or four 8-inch pitas, split open
- Position rack in upper third of oven; preheat broiler.
- Whisk lemon juice, oil, mustard, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Place steak in a shallow dish and pour half the dressing over it. Let marinate at room temperature, turning once, for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the salad by adding lettuce, cucumber and tomato to the remaining dressing in the bowl; toss to coat.
- Transfer the meat to a broiling pan. Broil for 5 minutes on each side for medium-rare, or until it reaches desired doneness. Warm pitas on the bottom rack of the oven while the steak is broiling.
- Transfer to a cutting board, let rest for 3 minutes, then slice thinly against the grain.
- Mix the meat with the salad and fill each pita. Serve immediately.
NUTRITION INFORMATION: Per serving: 410 calories; 15 g fat (3 g sat, 8 g mono); 65 mg cholesterol; 37 g carbohydrate; 33 g protein; 6 g fiber; 529 mg sodium. Vitamin A (70% daily value), Selenium (66% dv), Vitamin C (45% dv), Folate (29% dv), Iron (25% dv), Magnesium (20% dv).
- Sandwiches, Main Dishes
- North American