While the Boca brand makes a pretty decent frozen veggie burger, it's not that difficult to make your own version at home, so why not whip one up tonight? In this recipe, tempeh is mixed with toasted walnuts, dijon mustard, and soy sauce to make a flavorful meat-free patty. Garnished with a tangy mayonnaise and the usual burger accompaniments — lettuce and tomatoes — this makes for a filling and tasty meal. To experiment with this dish,
1 1/2 cups walnuts (6 1/2 oz.)
2 (8-oz.) pkgs. tempeh, each cut in half
1 Tbs. Dijon mustard
1 Tbs. tamari or reduced-sodium soy sauce
1 Tbs. olive oil, plus additional for brushing
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
3 medium cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup finely diced red bell pepper
1/2 cup finely chopped celery
1 Tbs. minced fresh rosemary
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. freshly ground pepper
1/2 cup (packed) pitted chopped kalamata olives
8 whole-wheat English muffins or buns, split
Flavored Mayonnaise, lettuce and tomato slices for serving
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spread walnuts on baking sheet and bake until lightly toasted, 8 to 10 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, in large saucepan fitted with steamer basket, bring 2 inches water to a boil over high heat. Add tempeh, cover and steam 20 minutes. Remove from steamer and set aside.
- In food processor, pulse toasted walnuts to fine powder. Add half the steamed tempeh, mustard, tamari and puree until smooth.
- Transfer mixture to large bowl. Crumble remaining tempeh into very small pieces, add to mixture in bowl and mix well. Set aside.
- In large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 3 minutes. Add garlic, bell pepper, celery, rosemary, salt and pepper and cook, stirring often, 5 minutes. Add to tempeh mixture along with olives; mix well. Using 1/2 cup for each and packing firmly, form mixture into 8 round patties.
- Prepare a hot charcoal fire or preheat gas grill to high. Place burgers on grill rack, brush with oil and cook until golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Serve hot on muffins with mayonnaise, lettuce and tomato slices.