Happy Mexican Independence Day! Although many Americans confuse Cinco de Mayo with Mexico's independence, it's actually celebrated on Sept. 16. To commemorate the occasion, how about offering your family these quick yet delicious shrimp tacos? Served on warm soft tortillas with a simple sour cream-cumin sauce, these shrimp are plump and succulent. Although the recipe requires that you grill the shrimp, it also explains how to cook them under the broiler. If you have extra time on your hands, consider making a homemade Mexican fiesta complete with pico de gallo, guacamole, and salsa. Get the uncomplicated shrimp taco recipe now.
- 1/2 cup sour cream
3 tablespoons mayonnaise
3 tablespoons milk
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1 1/2 pounds large shrimp, peeled
3 tablespoons butter, melted
2 large garlic cloves, minced
4 limes, cut into quarters
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
8 6-inch corn tortillas
2 to 3 cups finely shredded green cabbage
bottled green tomatillo salsa
- Whisk together the sour cream, mayonnaise, milk, and cumin. Set aside.
- Skewer the shrimp. (If using wood skewers, soak them in water for 10 minutes beforehand.)
- In a small bowl, combine the butter and garlic.
- Preheat a gas grill to high; adjust to medium after 15 minutes. (If cooking over charcoal, allow the coals to burn until they are covered with gray ash.)
- Brush the skewered shrimp with the garlic butter. Place them on the grill with the limes. Cook about 4 minutes on each side or until the shrimp are opaque and the limes are browned. Remove from grill. Lightly salt the shrimp. To make in the oven: Broil the shrimp and limes about 4 inches from the heat about 4 minutes per side or until the shrimp are opaque and the limes are browned. Wrap the tortillas in foil and heat in a 350° F oven for 15 minutes, or wrap them in a napkin and microwave for 3 minutes
- Grill the tortillas for 30 seconds on each side, then place inside a paper bag to keep warm.
- To serve, pull the shrimp off the skewers and divide them evenly among the tortillas. Top with the cabbage, sour cream sauce, tomatillo salsa, and a spritz of grilled lime.
- Main Dishes, Shellfish
POPSUGAR, the #1
independent media and technology company for women. Where more than 75 million women go for
original, inspirational content that feeds their passions and interests.