When you take over the grill tonight, test out a vegetarian barbecue option that's not so redundant: a meatless take on the New Orleans muffuletta sandwich. With crusty bread and warm, caramelized slices of eggplant, zucchini, red bell pepper, and mushrooms, this sandwich is a scrumptious, filling, and nutritious variation of the hearty Louisiana original. For extra creaminess and crunch, you can toast the bread and the provolone on the grill, too. Make this your new favorite veggie sandwich and
- 1 eggplant, sliced 1/2 inch thick
1 zucchini, sliced 1/2 inch thick on an angle
1 red bell pepper, quartered lengthwise
1 large portobello mushroom cap
1 red onion, sliced 3/4 inch thick
6 ounces baby spinach
1/3 cup pine nuts (a generous handful)
2/3 cup grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese (a couple generous handfuls)
1 cup store-bought giardiniera (pickled vegetable salad)
1/2 cup pitted green olives
One 8- to 9-inch round loaf crusty bread
1/4 pound deli-sliced provolone cheese
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
Salt and pepper
- Preheat a grill or grill pan to medium-high. Lightly brush the eggplant, zucchini, bell pepper, portobello and red onion with 1/4 cup olive oil; season with salt and pepper. Cover and grill, turning once, until charred, about 6 minutes.
- Using a food processor, puree the spinach, pine nuts and parmigiano-reggiano; season with salt and pepper. With the machine on, drizzle in the remaining 1/4 cup olive oil. Transfer the pesto to a bowl; rinse the food processor.
- Using the food processor, pulse the giardiniera and olives into a coarse relish.
- Slice the top quarter off the bread and scoop out the insides. Spread half the pesto on the inside of the bread, layer with half of the grilled vegetables, then spoon the remaining pesto on top. Fill the bread with the remaining vegetables and top with the provolone. Spread the inside of the bread top with the vegetable relish and set into place. Press down firmly, then cut into wedges.
- Main Dishes, Sandwiches
POPSUGAR, the #1
independent media and technology company for women. Where more than 75 million women go for
original, inspirational content that feeds their passions and interests.