The veggies and sausages are roasted while the bread gets toasty and the cheese melts. The ingredient list calls for bottled balsamic dressing, but if you have the time and skills, why not whisk your own quick vinaigrette?
Serve with mixed greens and a cold beer. To make this mid-week pick-me-up, get the recipe after the break.
3 peppers, cored and cut in 1/2-in.-wide strips
2 medium red onions, cut in 1/2-in. wedges
1/4 cup balsamic vinaigrette dressing
1 lb fresh Italian chicken or turkey sausage, cut in 2-in. pieces
1 long loaf Italian or French bread
1 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Heat oven to 500°F. Line 2 rimmed baking sheets with nonstick foil.
- Spread peppers and onions in 1 pan; drizzle with 3 tablespoons vinaigrette and toss to coat.
- Place sausage in other pan, drizzle with remaining vinaigrette and toss to coat.
- Roast 10 minutes or until sausage is cooked through.
- Meanwhile split bread lengthwise, leaving 1 long side attached (like a hinge). Open loaf. Brush cut sides with olive oil, then sprinkle with oregano and cheese.
- Remove both pans from oven. Toss peppers and onions and return to oven; place bread cut sides up on oven rack.
- Roast 5 minutes or until bread is lightly toasted and vegetables are tender and slightly charred.
- Top bread with vegetables and sausage. Cut loaf in quarters. Eat sandwich with fork and knife.
- Main Dishes, Sandwiches