Earlier this month, Party and I were enticed by one reader's rendition of beef stroganoff. If you, too, found yourself salivating over her creation, here's another dish that you need to bookmark! Unlike the classic course, which has sour cream and mushrooms, the ground beef in this recipe becomes a stew with the help of a roux, beef broth, and Worcestershire. Pile it on top of herbed egg noodles, serve with a salad, and you've got a speedy (and guest-worthy!) dinner. Curious? Then read more.
1 pound extra-wide egg noodles
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)
2 pounds lean ground beef sirloin
1 large yellow onion, chopped
2 carrots, peeled and chopped
4 ribs celery, chopped
1 bay leaf
3 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons flour
2 cups beef broth
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
One 10-ounce box frozen peas, thawed
1 small shallot, finely chopped
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
2 teaspoons honey
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
3/4 pound spinach, chopped
1/2 small red onion, chopped
1/2 pint grape tomatoes, halved
2 kosher dill pickles, sliced
1/4 cup chopped fresh dill
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil, salt it, add the noodles and cook until al dente. Drain.
- In a large, deep skillet, heat 1 tablespoon EVOO, 1 turn of the pan. Add the beef, season with salt and pepper and cook until browned, 5 minutes. Add the yellow onion, carrots, celery and bay leaf, season with salt and pepper and cook until crisp-tender, 5 minutes. Keep warm.
- In a medium saucepan, melt 2 tablespoons butter. Whisk in the flour and cook for 1 minute, then whisk in the beef broth and Worcestershire sauce and cook until thickened, 2 minutes. Stir the sauce into the beef mixture, then stir in the peas. Season with salt and pepper, lower the heat and simmer.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, mix the shallot, vinegar, honey and mustard. Whisk in the remaining 3 tablespoons EVOO. Add the spinach, red onion, tomatoes and pickles; season with salt and pepper.
- Toss the egg noodles with the remaining 1 tablespoon butter and the dill. Top with the beef stew and serve with the salad.
- Main Dishes, Beef
- Russian/Eastern European