With an epic feast only a few days away, shun poultry (you'll be having it for days!) in favor of something on the opposite end of the flavor spectrum, such as a flaky white fish. Not only does sole make for a lighter dinner alternative and a great source of protein, but it's also extremely affordable. Keep the preparation super simple by dredging the fillets briefly in a mixture of flour, lemon, and white pepper, then pan-sauté in olive oil.
Serve with market-fresh Brussels sprouts that have been tossed with parsley and shallots. The resulting dish is straightforward, yet elegant. For the recipe, read more.
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
2 teaspoons finely grated lemon peel
1 teaspoon coarse kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper plus additional for seasoning
3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
12 ounces petrale sole fillets
3/4 cup thinly sliced shallots
6 ounces brussels sprouts, trimmed and thinly sliced lengthwise
1 cup vegetable broth
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 teaspoon chopped fresh Italian parsley
- Combine flour, lemon peel, coarse salt, and 1/2 teaspoon white pepper in shallow bowl.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in each of 2 large skillets over medium heat. Coat fish in flour mixture and shake off excess. Add fish to skillets and cook until opaque and golden brown, 1 to 2 minutes per side. Remove from heat and season to taste with salt. Cover loosely with foil and set aside.
- Wipe out 1 skillet. Add remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil and heat over medium heat. Add shallots and sauté until almost translucent, about 2 minutes. Add brussels sprouts and broth. Increase heat to medium high and cook, stirring occasionally, until brussels sprouts are tender and liquid is almost completely absorbed, about 8 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in butter. Season to taste with salt and white pepper.
- Spoon brussels sprouts onto plates. Top with fish, sprinkle with chopped parsley, and serve.
- Main Dishes, Fish
- North American
POPSUGAR, the #1
independent media and technology company for women. Where more than 75 million women go for
original, inspirational content that feeds their passions and interests.