Prepare the quick, from-scratch recipe for wheat pitas below or, in a pinch, use store bought pitas or tortillas. The textural contrast of the grainy bread with Greek yogurt and ground meat is incredibly satisfying. For the fun, hands-on recipe, read on.
Whole-wheat flatbread dough (see ingredients below)
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 1/2 pounds ground lamb
3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
3/4 teaspoon ground coriander
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Coarse salt and ground pepper
3 garlic cloves, chopped
1 large white onion, thinly sliced lengthwise
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, plus 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest (from 1 large lemon)
1/2 cup pine nuts, toasted
1 3/4 cups Greek (2%) or regular yogurt
1 cup fresh mint leaves, torn
- Whole-wheat flatbread dough: In a large bowl, combine 2 cups all-purpose flour, 1 cup whole-wheat flour, 1/4 cup olive oil, and 2 teaspoons coarse salt. Mix in 3/4 cup water, adding more water if necessary to form a stiff dough. Turn dough out onto a work surface and knead 5 minutes. Place dough in a bowl and cover with a damp cloth; let rest 30 minutes. Divide dough into 8 balls, then roll out to 7-inch rounds. Keep covered with a damp cloth until ready to cook.
- While the flatbread dough rests, heat 1 tablespoon oil in a cast-iron skillet over medium-high. Cook lamb, breaking it up with a wooden spoon, until browned, 7 minutes. Stir in cumin, coriander, cayenne, and 2 teaspoons salt and cook 1 minute. Place lamb in a bowl and cover loosely with foil.
- Return skillet to medium heat and add 1 tablespoon oil. Add garlic and onion and cook until soft and beginning to brown, about 5 minutes. Add lemon juice, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; cook until liquid evaporates, 1 minute. Add to bowl with lamb mixture and stir in pine nuts.
- Clean skillet and return to heat; wipe with a lightly oiled paper towel. Cook flatbreads, one at a time, until puffy and dark brown in spots, 1 to 2 minutes per side. Combine yogurt, lemon zest, and 3/4 teaspoon salt; spread half the yogurt sauce on flatbreads. Top with lamb mixture and mint; serve with remaining yogurt sauce.
- Main Dishes, Lamb
- Mediterranean/Middle Eastern