After enjoying a two-tomato vegetable soup the night before, extend your meatless meal streak tonight with an easy and light whole wheat rigatoni toss.
Use crunchy, nutrient-rich broccolini to impart a slightly nutty, peppery quality to a medley of whole wheat tubes and blanched radishes that get tossed in an orange zest vinaigrette.
The fiber in both the vegetables and the pasta ensures this'll be a filling dish to dig into; enjoy a beguiling, salty creaminess in every bite with crumbles of feta cheese as well. Don't have sherry vinegar, oranges, or broccolini on hand? This recipe is flexible: swap them out for red wine vinegar, lemon zest, and cauliflower or regular broccoli florets. Get the method when you read on.
- 1 medium shallot, thinly sliced
1 bunch broccolini (about 10 ounces), stems cut into 2-inch stems, and florets
1 medium bunch radishes, trimmed and very thinly sliced
12 ounces whole-wheat rigatoni
1 tablespoon sherry wine vinegar
1/2 teaspoon finely grated orange zest
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more as needed
Freshly ground black pepper
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
7 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- Put the shallots in a bowl and cover with cold water. Soak for about 10 minutes; drain.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and salt it generously. Fill a medium bowl with ice water and salt it as well. Add the broccolini to the boiling water and cook until crisp-tender, about 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in the radish slices, and cook 30 seconds, more. Use a slotted spoon or strainer to scoop out the vegetables and plunge them immediately into the ice water. Drain the vegetables, pat them very dry.
- Add the pasta to the same pot of boiling water, and cook, stirring occasionally, until al dente, about 8 to 9 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Whisk the sherry vinegar, orange zest, the 3/4 teaspoon salt and pepper, to taste, in a large serving bowl. Gradually whisk in the oil, starting with a few drops and then adding the rest in a steady stream, to make a dressing.
- Toss the rigatoni, broccolini, radish and shallot with the dressing. Add the feta cheese and toss lightly. Serve warm or room temperature.
- Pasta, Main Dishes
POPSUGAR, the #1
independent media and technology company for women. Where more than 75 million women go for
original, inspirational content that feeds their passions and interests.