- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 cup green onions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup flour
- 3-1/2 cups water
- 2 (14.5-ounce) cans diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 2 pounds medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce, such as Tabasco
- Hot cooked rice, for serving
- Melt butter in large saucepot or Dutch oven; add onion, celery, green onion, and garlic. Cook 5 minutes or until tender.
- Add flour and stir until well blended. Stir in water, tomatoes, lemon juice, salt, bay leaves and thyme. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover, and simmer 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in shrimp and hot sauce. Simmer 5 minutes longer or until shrimp turn pink. Discard bay leaves. Serve over rice.
Makes 8 servings.
- Main Dishes, Shellfish
- North American