2 tablespoons cornmeal
2 tablespoons milk
1 tablespoon finely chopped onion
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
1/8 teaspoon lemon-pepper seasoning
8 ounces lean ground lamb
8 ounces lean ground beef
1/3 cup finely crumbled feta cheese
1 tablespoon milk
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
2 large pita bread rounds
2 cups shredded fresh spinach or arugula
- In a medium bowl, combine cornmeal, the 2 tablespoons milk, the onion, garlic, salt, oregano, and lemon-pepper seasoning. Add ground lamb and ground beef; mix well using hands. Shape mixture into eight 1/4-inch-thick patties.
- For filling, in a small bowl combine feta cheese and the 1 tablespoon milk. Divide filling among four of the patties. Top with the remaining patties; press edges to seal.
- In a small bowl, combine cumin and cayenne pepper. Sprinkle mixture over patties.
- For a gas grill, preheat grill. Alternately heat a heavy pan on the stove. Reduce heat to medium. Place patties on grill rack or in pan. Cover and cook for 12 to 16 minutes or until done (160°F), turning once halfway through grilling.
- To serve, cut pita bread rounds in half crosswise. Serve burgers in pita halves with spinach or arugula.
- Main Dishes, Beef
- Mediterranean/Middle Eastern