1-1/2 cups dry white wine (Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio) or chicken broth
1 cup water
2 medium yellow sweet peppers, chopped (1-1/2 cups)
3 Tbsp. drained capers
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 to 1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper
4 halibut steaks (1-1/2 to 1-3/4 lb.) or 4 cod or other whitefish fillets
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 Tbsp. basil oil or olive oil
Coarsely chopped fresh parsley
- For poaching liquid, in a large skillet combine wine, water, sweet pepper, capers, garlic, and crushed red pepper. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 7 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Place fish in a single layer in the poaching liquid in the skillet. Season fish with salt and pepper. Spoon liquid over fish. Return to simmer.
- Cook, covered, 4 to 6 minutes per 1/2-inch thickness of fish until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork.
- Remove fish to serving platter and pour poaching liquid to a small serving pitcher. Drizzle cooked fish with the basil oil or olive oil and a little of the poaching liquid. Sprinkle with parsley. Serve with remaining poaching liquid.
- Main Dishes, Fish
- Mediterranean/Middle Eastern