- 2 cups dry penne
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 orange bell pepper, sliced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, sliced
- 1 yellow crookneck squash, halved and sliced
- 1 Japanese eggplant, quartered and sliced
- 1 large fresh tomato or 2 canned tomatoes, grated
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup basil, cut into a wide chiffonade 
- 1/4 cup parsley, roughly chopped
- Parmesan cheese, for shaving as garnish
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add pasta and cook until noodles are soft but still have a bit of a bite to them.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat with garlic and shallots. When things begin to sizzle add bell peppers, squash, and eggplant. Stir everything around and let vegetables begin to soften.
- Add grated tomatoes, wine, salt, and pepper, and cook down until vegetables are soft and most of the liquid has evaporated, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Add basil and parsley. Stir into the vegetables until the herbs are wilted.
- Drain the pasta, but reserve 1/2 cup of the pasta water.
- Empty pasta into a large serving bowl, add pasta water, and top with vegetable mixture. Stir everything together so that it's evenly incorporated. Top with Parmesan shavings.
Serves 4 to 6.
- Main Dishes