1 1/2 pounds fresh fava beans (in their pods)
1/2 C ricotta cheese (whole or part-skim)
3/4 C Pecorino Romano or Parmigiana-Reggiano cheese, finely grated
1 Tbsp fresh mint, finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
Generous salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Shell the beans and discard the pods.
- Heat a medium saucepan of salted water to a boil. Cook favas for 5 minutes until tender. Drain in a colander over the sink and rinse with cold water to cool.
- Remove the white casings from the individual beans and discard; the shelled bean will be a lively green color. You’ll want a generous cup of shelled beans.
- Put the shelled favas and the remaining ingredients in a bowl. Mash with a fork until some of the beans are crushed and some remain whole.
- Slice baguette into 1/4-inch slices. Toast the bread slices in the oven for 10-12 minutes.
- Spread a heaping tablespoon (more or less to your liking) of the bean mixture on the baguette slices. Drizzle with additional olive oil, if desired and enjoy.
- Appetizers, Crostini
- North American