This is one of my all time favorite side dishes. Baby potatoes are tossed with red onions and a mustard oil for a delicious and fabulous side. I've made it countless times, it's my go-to side dish when I want something quick, easy and tasty. The red onions become sweet as they cook, and the thyme provides just the subtlest fragrance. It pairs perfectly with any meat and tastes great with beer can chicken or grilled fish too. You must give this recipe a try, so get it now, just read more
2/3 cup olive oil
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme or 1 tablespoon dried
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 pounds white-skinned potatoes (about 4 large), peeled,
sliced 1/4 inch thick
2 large red onions, halved, sliced 1/2 inch thick
Nonstick vegetable oil spray
Fresh thyme sprigs (optional)
- Combine oil, mustard, thyme, salt and pepper in large bowl. Whisk to blend well. (Can be prepared 6 hours ahead. Cover and let stand at room temperature.)
- Prepare barbecue (medium-high heat).
- Add potatoes and onions to mustard oil. Toss to coat.
- Set six 18 x 9-inch sheets of heavy-duty aluminum foil on work surface. Spray foil with nonstick vegetable oil spray. Divide vegetables among foil sheets, placing in center of left half of each. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Fold right half of foil over vegetables. Fold edges of packages together to seal tightly.
- Place packages on grill. Grill until potatoes are tender and golden brown, turning occasionally, about 25-35 minutes.
- Remove packages from grill. Slit top of foil and fold back. Garnish potatoes with thyme sprigs, if desired.