A while back I maintained that I didn't like pizzas topped with salad, but I couldn't resist trying Bon Appetit's recipe for a Gorgonzola, prosciutto, and fig pizza topped with arugula salad. To make it even easier, I purchased a bag of premade dough from my local Trader Joe's. I hate to admit it, but the simple preparation of the dish meant that I had a scrumptious Summer meal in less than half an hour. The sweet figs and peppery arugula are a perfect match to the salty prosciutto and flavorful Gorgonzola. There is no sauce on the pizza, but the creamy balsamic dressing on the salad makes up for it. While I still love keeping my salad and pizza separate, combining the two can also be a fantastic option. If you want to eat your pizza and salad without ever lifting a fork, keep reading.
- Cornmeal (for sprinkling)
1 pound of packaged pizza dough
2 cups crumbled Gorgonzola cheese
10 fresh figs, cut into 1/4 inch wedges
8 thin slices of prosciutto
2 tablespoon olive oil
4 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon cream
8 cups of arugula
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Sprinkle large rimless baking sheet generously with cornmeal. Roll out dough on floured work surface to 12x10-inch rectangle; transfer to prepared sheet.
- Sprinkle Gorgonzola over dough. Sprinkle with pepper.
- Place figs in medium bowl; drizzle 1 tablespoon vinegar over. Set aside.
- Bake pizza until crust is golden brown on bottom, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Immediately drape prosciutto slices over, covering pizza completely. Arrange fig slices atop prosciutto. Bake until figs are just heated through, about 2-3 minutes. Transfer pizza to cutting board.
- Whisk remaining vinegar, cream and oil in large bowl; add arugula. Sprinkle with salt and pepper; toss to coat. Mound salad atop pizza. Cut into pieces and serve.
Serves 2-4 people.
- Breads, Main Dishes, Pizza
POPSUGAR, the #1
independent media and technology company for women. Where more than 75 million women go for
original, inspirational content that feeds their passions and interests.