We all know Bobby Flay, Wolfgang Puck, Thomas Keller, and loads of other celebrity chefs, but have you heard of Zakary Pelaccio, Nate Appleman, or April Bloomfield? The folks at Forbes magazine think you should be paying attention because you soon will. In recent article, Forbes has named their top 10 up-and-coming celebrity chefs. These are the folks who are part of the next generation to step into the spotlight.
Many of their picks have seasoned careers — despite being young — and have been pegged as James Beard nominees and have previously graced the cover of Food & Wine magazine's Best New Chefs issue. Forbes chose to highlight them due to the fact that many are making waves with their back-to-basics techniques. Susan Ungaro, the president of the James Beard Foundation, agrees with them and says:
Today's rising stars are taking food in an artisanal direction. When they talk about the menu, they can tell you not only where the lamb was raised, but where the butter came from.
To find out who made their list — and if one of these chefs is in your neighborhood, go eat at their restaurant before it takes months to get a reservation! — just
- Nate Appleman, A16 and SPQR; San Francisco, CA
- April Bloomfield, The Spotted Pig; New York, New York
- Gabriel Bremer, Salts; Boston, MA
- Francois Kwaku-Dongo, l'escale; Greenwich, CT
- Jehangir Mehta, Graffiti and Partistry; New York, NY
- Johnny Monis, Komi; Washington, DC
- Zakary Pelaccio, Fatty Crab and Chop Suey; New York, NY
- César Ramirez, Bar Blanc; New York, NY
- Gabriel Rucker, Le Pigeon; Portland, OR
- Paul Virant, Vie; Western Springs, IL