As we approach carnival season, we thought it seemed fitting to combine our two favorite fair foods: hot dogs and funnel cake. Please meet the funnel dog, a sweet-savory hybrid your tastebuds will instantly love.
8 wooden skewers
1 quart vegetable oil
1/4 cup sugar
2 cups milk
3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoon baking powder
8 hot dogs
- Soak wooden skewers in water for at least 30 minutes. Heat oil in a deep cast iron or nonstick pot until thermometer reads 350°F.
- Pat wooden skewers dry and spear hot dogs into them lengthwise. Set aside.
- In a medium-size bowl, sift flour, salt, and baking powder.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs and sugar together until frothy. Slowly whisk in the milk. Then slowly incorporate flour mixture, and mix until batter is smooth and creamy. Dip hot dogs into batter, covering all sides.
- Fry dogs in the hot oil for 2 to 3 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown.
- Dust with powdered sugar, and serve hot.
- 8 funnel cake hot dogs