Knowledgeable, affable, and nothing if not entertaining, Andrew Zimmern is the ultimate showman, as his legions of Bizarre Foods fans know. So not surprisingly, his dim sum cookery demo at the Food & Wine Classic in Aspen was not only informative but also peppered with a host of goofy, often self-deprecating quotes. Keep reading for the five best.
- On his ego: Zimmern joked, "I love holding things that are steaming. Usually it's my ego," after he grabbed a still steaming-hot cabbage when prepping the filling for dumplings.
- On the question he's most asked: "How the eff do you eat that?" His standard response? "Usually it's good!"
- On why his fingernails were painted blue: Zimmern spent the night before his demo with buddy José Andrés and his two daughters, who tried to convince Andrés to paint his nails to no success. They then turned to Zimmern, because, Zimmern hypothesized, "he's Daddy's friend that'll do anything."
- On why he's qualified to teach Chinese cookery: "Jewish boys from New York really can cook Chinese food because we eat it every Sunday night."
- On his other secret to cooking Chinese food: For the best results, Zimmern taps into his "inner Chinese grandma."