It's Friday! That means you've made it through a long week and are ready to relax. Why not treat yourself to a decadent and delicious steak dinner in the comfort of your own home? Like at an upscale steakhouse, this recipe serves the meat with a rich pan sauce and seasonal vegetable. The beef is rubbed with garlic and black pepper. For a delicious caramelized crust, let the steak cook in the pan untouched for several minutes. Want an even heartier meal? Pair the steak and asparagus with homemade mashed potatoes and a glass of good red wine. Learn the effortless technique now.
- 1 12- to 14-oz. boneless beef top loin (strip) steak, cut about 3/4 inch thick
1 or 2 large cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
1/2 tsp. cracked or coarsely ground black pepper
1/4 tsp. salt
8 to 10 thin asparagus spears, trimmed (6 oz.)
2 tsp. garlic-flavored olive oil or olive oil
1/2 cup beef broth
1 Tbsp. dry white wine
1/4 tsp. Dijon-style mustard
- Rub the steak on both sides with a mixture of the garlic, pepper, and salt, pressing in the mixture with your fingers.
- Place the asparagus in a shallow dish and drizzle with the oil.
- For sauce, in a medium skillet stir together the broth and wine. Cook over high heat for 4 to 5 minutes or until mixture is reduced to 1/4 cup. Whisk in mustard; keep warm.
- Preheat an indoor electric grill on high setting, if available. Place steak on the grill rack. If using a covered grill, close lid. Grill until steak is desired doneness. (For a covered grill, allow 3 to 4 minutes for medium rare or 5 to 7 minutes for medium. For an uncovered grill, allow 6 to 8 minutes for medium rare or 8 to 10 minutes for medium, turning steak once.) If space allows, add asparagus to covered grill for the last 2 to 3 minutes or for uncovered grill the last 4 to 5 minutes of grilling. Cook asparagus until crisp-tender. Alternately, place steak on the unheated rack of a broiler pan. Broil 3 to 4 inches from the heat for 8 to 10 minutes for medium rare or 10 to 12 minutes for medium, turning once and adding asparagus to the rack of the broiler pan the last 2 minutes of broiling.
- Spoon sauce on serving plate. Cut steak in half crosswise. Serve steak halves atop sauce with asparagus on top.
- Main Dishes, Beef
- North American
POPSUGAR, the #1
independent media and technology company for women. Where more than 75 million women go for
original, inspirational content that feeds their passions and interests.