Casey Reinhardt, a Cupcake Wars winner and chef/owner of Casey's Cupcakes, joins us to share her glamorous gingerbread cupcakes with cream cheese frosting. Learn how to make and decorate the cupcakes, and then print out the recipe.
For the cupcakes:
1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon cocoa powder
1 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon allspice
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon salt
5 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup powdered sugar, sifted
1/2 cup molasses
1 egg yolk
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup water, warm
For the cream cheese frosting:
4 ounces unsalted butter, softened
4 ounces cream cheese, softened
2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Make the cupcakes: Sift together the flour, cocoa powder, ginger, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream butter with powdered sugar on low speed. Add molasses, egg, and egg yolk. Add flour mixture, and stir until just combined.
- Dissolve baking soda in warm water. On a low speed, mix the warm water mixture into the batter.
- Fill cupcake liners 3/4 full. Bake at 350ºF for 18 to 20 minutes or until cupcakes bounce back when touched.
- Make the cream cheese frosting: In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat together butter and cream cheese on medium-high speed. With mixer on low speed, add powdered sugar a cup at a time until smooth and creamy. Beat in vanilla extract.
- Assemble the cupcakes: Use an offset spatula to ice cupcakes. Decorate with sprinkles and seasonal candy, optional.
- Desserts, Cupcakes
- North American
- Makes 12 cupcakes