For the gingerbread cookies:
2 cups all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled), plus more for rolling
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
1/3 cup packed dark brown sugar
1/3 cup unsulfured molasses
1 large egg
For the icing:
1 cup powdered sugar, sifted
2 teaspoons milk
2 teaspoons light corn syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Make the cookies: In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, spices, baking soda, and salt.
- With an electric mixer, beat butter and brown sugar until smooth. Beat in molasses and egg. With the mixer on low, add the dry ingredients. Mix just until a dough forms.
- Place the dough on floured plastic wrap. Pat into an 8-inch square. Wrap well. Chill until firm, 1 to 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Divide dough in half. Working with one half at a time (rewrap and refrigerate other half), place dough on floured parchment or waxed paper. Roll it out 1/8 inch thick, turning, lifting, and flouring dough (and rolling pin) as needed. Freeze dough (on paper) until firm, about 20 minutes.
- Loosen dough from paper. Cut out shapes, and transfer to baking sheets.
- Bake until firm and edges just begin to darken, 10 to 18 minutes. Cool completely on baking sheets before decorating with icing.
- Make the icing: Meanwhile, whisk together the powdered sugar, milk, corn syrup, and vanilla extract until completely smooth. Transfer to a piping bag fitted with a small round tip. Pipe on the guitar details.
- Desserts, Cookies
- About 3 dozen cookies