Today is National Clean Out Your Refrigerator Day. I think it's an opportune time to celebrate this holiday and prep your fridge for Thanksgiving by cleaning it out. To help you out, here are my suggestions on how to clean out the refrigerator:
- Place a large, empty garbage bag next to your fridge. Have a couple smaller bags on hand for recyclables and leftovers.
- Starting at the bottom with the vegetable drawers, look through your entire fridge. Throw away wilted, moldy, or old vegetables. If you have herbs that come in plastic containers, dump the herbs in the brown garbage bag and the container in the bag designated for recycling.
- Empty tupperware with leftovers into plastic baggies and place these in the larger garbage bag. Taking the extra time to put the pasta, sauces, dips, etc. into a plastic baggy will ensure that the wetness doesn't seep through the larger bag or spill before you make it to the trash can.
- Check yogurt, milk, and other dairy containers' expiration dates. If expired, remove from the fridge.
- Dump out old, half full bottles of flat sodas, sparkling water, or wine.
- Throw away smelly lunchmeats.
Did I forget something? Share your fridge cleaning out techniques below!