4 ounces green beans, trimmed
4 ounces yellow wax beans, trimmed
1 pound curved, dried pasta, such as conchiglie, orecchiette, or other medium curved shapes
1/2 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice (from about 2 lemons)
Freshly ground pepper
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 ounce pine nuts, toasted and coarsely chopped (1/4 cup)
1 1/2 ounces Parmesan cheese, 1/2 ounce finely grated (1/2 cup), 1 ounce shaved with a vegetable peeler (1/2 cup)
1 ounce (1 1/2 cups) baby arugula
- Prepare an ice-water bath. Cook green and wax beans in a large pot of boiling salted water until tender, about 4 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer beans to ice-water bath until cool, reserving water in pot. Drain beans, and cut into 2-inch-long pieces.
- Add pasta to the reserved boiling water, and cook until al dente. Drain and spread on a rimmed baking sheet. Refrigerate for 10 minutes. Transfer chilled pasta to a large serving dish.
- Whisk lemon zest and juice and 3/4 teaspoon salt. Season with pepper. Add oil in a slow, steady stream, whisking until emulsified. Drizzle over pasta, and toss until well coated.
- Add beans, pine nuts, and grated Parmesan. Toss until evenly distributed.
- Just before serving, fold in arugula, and top with shaved Parmesan.
- Pasta, Main Dishes