I like to think of this as twisted caprese salad meets a fancy French bread pizza. Grilling the tomatoes for this dish make them supersweet and juicy, and it is the perfect combo with the crunchy, toasty bread. And burrata . . . what can I say? I love you so! The word translates as "buttered" in Italian, so you know it makes anything you put it on superspecial. If you can't find burrata in your area (and I am truly bummed for you if you can't), sub in fresh mozzarella slices.
This dish is a great vegetarian main course served with a crisp green salad, or a really impressive appetizer when cut into smaller pieces. It's all done in minutes on the grill, so you don't have to heat up the kitchen, and it showcases some of the best Summer flavors.
Grilled Caprese Bruschetta
Serves 8 as a main, 16 as an appetizer
1 French baguette
Extra-virgin olive oil
1 dry pint small cherry or grape tomatoes
8 ounces burrata
1/4 cup packed fresh basil leaves
Fresh ground pepper
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat for 10 minutes.
- Cut baguette in half crosswise. Slice each half horizontally/lengthwise so you have 4 large, flat pieces. Brush generously with olive oil.
- Grill bread, cut side down, about 3-4 minutes, until nicely toasted and slightly charred with definite grill marks. Remove from grill.
- Meanwhile, take 2, 12x18-inch pieces of aluminum foil and stack them on top of each other. Double fold over each side of the foil creating a rim around all edges — approximately 8x14 inches. We are creating a little foil "pan" to cook the tomatoes on the grill with an edge so they don't roll off.
- Place foil on grill and add tomatoes. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon olive oil and stir. Close cover and grill 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until skins just begin to split. Carefully remove foil from grill (I slide it onto a sheet pan).
- Divide burrata between the 4 pieces of bread. Pile tomatoes on top of burrata and bread. Finish with roughly torn basil leaves, sea salt, fresh ground pepper, and another generous drizzle of olive oil. Slice to desired size and enjoy!