During the Summer, I not only love to make grilled bread, but I also immensely enjoy grilled pizza. The smokiness of the grill creates a crunchy, charred crust that is deliciously addictive. Depending on the toppings, sometimes I'll cook the whole thing on the grill, and other times I'll finish in the oven, as is the case with this recipe.
This pizza makes a great start for a dinner party because the ingredients — grated fontina cheese, hot Italian sausage, and grilled red peppers and onions — can be prepared in advance. When guests arrive, simply pop in the oven and bake until the cheese is melted. It's a seriously scrumptious pie. You won't be disappointed with the recipe, so get it now.
- 1/2 pound Italian hot sausage
1 large red onion, cut into 1/4-inch thick slices
2 large red peppers, cored, seeded, and quartered
Salt and pepper
1 recipe favorite pizza dough, rolled into 4 (6-inch) rounds
1/2 pound grated fontina cheese
1 cup sheep's milk ricotta
2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- Preheat a grill. Grill the sausage on both sides until golden brown and cooked through, about 10 minutes per side. Brush onions and peppers with the oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill the onions and peppers until soft, about 3 to 4 minutes per side. Remove the sausage from the grill and slice into 1/4-inch thick slices. Remove the onions, separate into rings, and roughly chop. Remove the peppers and slice into 1/8-inch thick slices. Alternately, crumble the sausage into a saute pan and cook, over medium high heat, until browned.
- Heat grill to high. Brush dough with olive oil, season with salt and pepper, and grill for 2 to 3 minutes or until golden brown. Turn over and grill for 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from the grill and place on a flat surface.
- Divide the fontina cheese among the 4 pizza rounds. Divide the sausage, onions, and peppers over the cheese. Place the pizza on the grill, close the cover and grill until the cheese has melted, about 3 to 4 minutes. To finish in the oven, preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Place the pizza on sheet pans and bake until the cheese has melted, about 5 to 10 minutes.
- Remove the pizzas from the oven and top with dollops of the ricotta cheese and sprinkle with chopped basil. Let rest for 5 minutes. Slice and serve.
- Main Dishes, Pizza
POPSUGAR, the #1
independent media and technology company for women. Where more than 75 million women go for
original, inspirational content that feeds their passions and interests.