For better flavor, up the amount of salt added to the cookie dough batter to 1 teaspoon (versus 1/4 teaspoon).
- 1 batch sugar cookie dough 
- 1 pound powdered sugar
- 2 large egg whites
- Candy, such as candy corn, Skittles, or Nerds
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Line two half-sheet pans with parchment paper or Silpats.
- Roll out cookie dough to 1/4 inch thick. Use a 3- to 3-1/2-inch-round cookie cutter  to cut out the dough. Place the cookie-dough rounds at least 1 inch apart on the half-sheet pan, and bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until cookies are just beginning to turn brown around the edges, rotating cookie sheet halfway through baking time. Let sit on baking sheet for 2 minutes, and then transfer to a wire rack to let them cool completely.
- While the cookies cool, combine the powdered sugar and egg whites in the bowl of a stand mixer. Mix on low speed until completely blended and the icing holds a ribbon-like trail on the surface of the mixture for 5 seconds when you raise the paddle. If it's too thick, then add water 1 teaspoon at a time; if it's too thin, then add powdered sugar 1 tablespoon at a time until it reaches the desired thickness.
- To decorate, spread a thin layer of the royal icing on a cookie, and then arrange the candy on top, working with one cookie at a time. Allow the icing to dry and harden completely before storing or stacking the cookies.
- Desserts, Cookies
- About 30 cookies