When we decided to declare this week salad week, I knew that the first happy hour would have to be the quintessential Bloody Mary. In a way the Bloody Mary is like a liquid salad - celery, onions, tomatoes - only with alcohol in it. I know that a lot of people dislike the way they taste, however there is something about the savory flavor that keeps me coming back for more. To whip up your own alcoholic salad, read more
3 large stalks celery from the heart, including leaves, plus extra for serving
36 ounces tomato juice (recommended: Sacramento)
2 teaspoons prepared horseradish
1 teaspoon grated yellow onion
1 lemon, juiced
1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon celery salt
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
12 dashes hot sauce (recommended: Tabasco), or to taste
1 1/2 cups vodka
- Cut the celery in large dice, including the leaves, and puree in the bowl of a food processor fitted with the steel blade. Process until finely minced.
- In a large pitcher, combine the rest of the ingredients except the vodka.
- With the food processor running, pour 1/4 of the tomato juice mixture into the food processor through the feed tube.
- Then pour the contents of the food processor into the pitcher with the remaining tomato juice mixture.
- Add the vodka and chill.
- Serve in tall glasses over ice with a stick of celery.