When we decided to declare this week salad week, I knew that the first happy hour would have to be the quintessential Bloody Mary. In a way the Bloody Mary is like a liquid salad - celery, onions, tomatoes - only with alcohol in it. I know that a lot of people dislike the way they taste, however there is something about the savory flavor that keeps me coming back for more. To whip up your own alcoholic salad,
3 large stalks celery from the heart, including leaves, plus extra for serving
36 ounces tomato juice (recommended: Sacramento)
2 teaspoons prepared horseradish
1 teaspoon grated yellow onion
1 lemon, juiced
1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon celery salt
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
12 dashes hot sauce (recommended: Tabasco), or to taste
1 1/2 cups vodka
- Cut the celery in large dice, including the leaves, and puree in the bowl of a food processor fitted with the steel blade. Process until finely minced.
- In a large pitcher, combine the rest of the ingredients except the vodka.
- With the food processor running, pour 1/4 of the tomato juice mixture into the food processor through the feed tube.
- Then pour the contents of the food processor into the pitcher with the remaining tomato juice mixture.
- Add the vodka and chill.
- Serve in tall glasses over ice with a stick of celery.