After putting together a quiz about hot buttered rum, I couldn't let the weekend pass without making a batch. So I decided to experiment with a hot buttered rum batter recipe. The batter — a mixture of butter, powdered and brown sugar, spices, and melted ice cream — is frozen and can be used at anytime, To make the toddy, rum and boiling water are added to a heaping tablespoon of batter. This was incredibly easy to make, with a rich, warming, not-too-sweet taste. In fact writing this has got me craving one right now! For the recipe,
1/2 lb. butter
1/2 lb. brown sugar
1/2 lb. confectioners' sugar
1/2 qt. vanilla ice cream, softened
1/2 tbsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
1 shot rum per drink
- Melt butter in a large pot over medium heat.
- Whisk in brown sugar and confectioners sugar.
- Remove from heat, and whisk in the ice cream, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- Pour mixture into a plastic container, seal, and freeze.
- To make a drink: in a coffee mug, measure 1 heaping tablespoon hot buttered rum batter. Add the rum, then fill cup with boiling water. Stir, and sprinkle top of drink with nutmeg, if desired.
Makes about 6 cups batter.