Last week I planned KatieSugar's 1st birthday party with a menu that was packed with traditional all American party food, but in miniature sizes. I know that some of you are on diets and in many cases my food is not the most figure friendly. Since I put together a great menu that can be adapted to any sort of party, I thought it would be nice to offer the same menu but with healthier versions. Luckily our friend Hungry Girl does this daily and I took some help from her for this one.
Start with a twist on my
Mini Crab Cakes
by serving her healthier crab stuffed mushrooms. Instead of making my indulging (and perhaps thigh-bulging)
, prepare HG's equally delicious version. Choose her de-pudged pigs in a blanket over my
Mini Hot Dogs
and pair them with her hamburgers. She's even come up with an almost calorie-free pink drink to wash everything down! To get these amazing recipes
12 small-to-medium-sized (1 - 2" wide) brown mushroom caps (stems removed)
2 oz. drained white crabmeat
2 tbsp. celery; minced
2 tbsp. red pepper; minced
1 wedge The Laughing Cow Light Cheese (any Light flavor)
1 tbsp. fat-free sour cream
1 tbsp. fat-free cream cheese
2 tsp. fat-free cheese flavor sprinkles (like the ones by Molly McButter)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Wipe mushrooms clean with a damp paper towel and then dry them. Place with the rounded sides down on a baking dish sprayed lightly with nonstick spray.
- Combine all other ingredients and stir until well mixed. Evenly distribute crab mixture among the mushroom caps.
- Place in the oven for 10 - 12 minutes, until hot.
- Enjoy the creamy, crab-tastic goodness!
Entire recipe: 135 calories, 3g fat, 975mg sodium, 12g carbs, 2g fiber, 4g sugars, 16g protein = 3 Points
4 oz. Lifetime Fat Free Monterey Jack Cheese (or another fat-free white hard cheese, like Muenster or Mozzarella)
4 tbsp. fat-free sour cream
10 tsp. Kraft Reduced Fat Parmesan Cheese
1 clove garlic, minced
2 tbsp. shallots, chopped finely
6 tbsp. fat-free mayo
1 oz. light soy milk
1 – 10 oz. pkg. chopped spinach, thawed and drained
4 oz. water chestnuts, chopped
- In a medium-sized saucepan, melt your Monterey Jack over a low flame.
- In a separate pan, saute garlic and shallots with some nonstick cooking spray.
- Add soy milk to melted cheese, stirring continuously. Next, add mayo, sour cream and parmesan into your cheese mixture, still stirring over low heat. Add your sauteed garlic and shallots, as well as water chestnuts. Add your well-drained, chopped spinach and mix thoroughly.
- Spoon your dip into a medium-sized casserole dish and bake in a preheated 325-degree oven for 20-25 minutes.
- Voila! Your spinach-y masterpiece is complete. You may add salt and/or pepper if desired.
1/8 recipe, approx. 3-4 Tbsp. - 70 calories, 0.5g fat, 305mg sodium, 7.5g carbs, 0.5g fiber, 2g sugars, 6.5g protein = 1 Point
1 fat-free (or nearly fat-free) hot dog (like the ones by Oscar Mayer, Hebrew National and Ball Park)
1 portion Pillsbury Reduced Fat Crescent roll dough
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Cut hot dog into 4 even pieces.
- Stretch or roll out the triangle-shaped dough slightly, to make it a larger triangle. Cut dough into 4 long, narrow triangles.
- Beginning at the base of each triangle, roll a piece of the hot dog up in the dough until the point of each triangle wraps around the center.
- Place dogs on an ungreased baking pan and cook for about 12 minutes (until dough appears slightly browned and crispy). Enjoy!
Serving Size: 4 pieces (entire recipe) Calories: 135 Fat: 5g Sodium: 645mg Carbs: 15g Fiber: 0g Sugars: 3g Protein: 7.5g 3 Points
Wonder Light (or other light) Hamburger Bun
Boca Burger Patty, Original Vegan
1 slice Kraft Singles Fat Free Cheese
1 Tbsp. Miracle Whip Light
3 pickle slices
1 Tbsp. ketchup
- Cook Boca Burger as per instructions on box.
- Toast bun (optional). Lay burger on the bun’s bottom half, followed by the cheese, tomato, onion, and lettuce.
- On the top half, slap on the mayo, ketchup, and pickles. Put two halves together and enjoy!
Serving Size: 1 burger Calories: 240 Fat: 3g Sodium: 1360mg Carbs: 34g Fiber: 8g Sugars: 9g Protein: 21g 4 Points
1/2 Lemon Three Packets of Splenda
5 oz. Cold Water
3/4 oz. Sugar Free Raspberry Torani Syrup
3/4 oz. Sugar Free Peach Torani Syrup
Lots of Ice!
- Squeeze the juice of 1/2 lemon into a glass. Stir in water and Splenda.
- Add a scoop of ice (or about 6 or 7 cubes). Top off with flavored syrups. Enjoy...it's practically calorie-free!