I've been sticking to a double-whammy of a New Year's resolution: to eat healthy as well as on a budget. Every day starts with a wholesome, homemade breakfast — whether it's one that's on-the-go for weekdays, or a more involved (but still relaxed!) weekend brunch.
My latest Saturday a.m. staple is this unusual omelet, filled with cumin-laced black beans and crumbled feta. It's everything one could ask for in a breakfast — salty, creamy, and filling — but it clocks in at under 350 calories and about $1.50 per serving. You can't beat that! Want the recipe? Then read on.
- 1 14-ounce can black beans, drained
Juice of 1 lime
1/4 teaspoon cumin
Hot sauce, such as Cholula or Tabasco
Nonstick cooking spray
Salt and black pepper to taste
1/2 cup feta cheese, plus more for garnish
Pico de gallo, for garnish
Diced or sliced avocado (optional), for garnish
- Pulse the black beans, lime juice, cumin and a few shakes of hot sauce in a food processor until it has the consistency of refried beans, adding a bit of water to help if necessary.
- Coat a small nonstick pan with nonstick cooking spray over medium heat. Crack two eggs into a bowl and beat with a bit of salt and pepper. Add the eggs to the pan, then use a spatula to stir and then lift the cooked egg on the bottom to allow raw egg to slide under. When the eggs have all but set, spoon a quarter of the black bean mixture and 2 tablespoons feta down the middle of the omelet. Use the spatula to fold over a third of the egg to cover the mixture in the center, then carefully slide the omelet onto a plate, using the spatula to flip it over at the last second to form one fully rolled omelet.
- Repeat with the remaining ingredients to make four omelets. Garnish with pico de gallo, diced or sliced avocado if you like, and a bit more crumbled feta.
Nutritional information per serving: Calories 330, Fat 8g, Saturated Fat 6g, Sodium 480mg.
- Breakfast/Brunch, Omelet/Frittata
POPSUGAR, the #1
independent media and technology company for women. Where more than 75 million women go for
original, inspirational content that feeds their passions and interests.