Sandwiches are a great on the go meal, but they also make an excellent easy option for a small, informal dinner party. It's easy to make one huge sandwich on an entire loaf of bread and then cut it into individual portions. The recipe is healthy because the only condiment that dresses the sandwich is balsamic vinegar. Stuffed with onions, bell pepper, and thinly sliced provolone cheese, this sandwich is as appetizing to the eye as it is to the stomach. Pair with a side salad or homemade potato chips, open a bottle of wine, and enjoy! Get the recipe now, read more
4 teaspoons olive oil, divided
1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
1 1/4 pounds chicken breast tenders
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar, divided
2 cups red bell pepper strips (about 2 medium)
2 cups vertically sliced onion (about 1 large)
2 (8-ounce) loaves focaccia bread, cut in half horizontally
4 ounces provolone cheese, thinly sliced
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Sprinkle 1/4 teaspoon salt over chicken. Add chicken to pan; cook 1 minute on each side or until lightly browned.
- Add 1/4 cup vinegar; cook 2 minutes or until chicken is done and vinegar is syrupy.
- Remove chicken mixture from the pan; cover and keep warm. Wipe pan clean with a paper towel.
- Return pan to medium-high heat; add remaining 2 teaspoons oil. Add bell pepper and onion; sauté 7 minutes or until tender. Stir in remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and remaining 1/4 cup vinegar; cook 1 minute or until vinegar is syrupy.
- Arrange chicken mixture evenly over bottom halves of bread; top with bell pepper mixture. Arrange cheese over pepper mixture, and sprinkle with black pepper. Top with top halves of bread.
- Place a cast-iron or heavy skillet on top of sandwiches; let stand 5 minutes.
- Cut each sandwich into 6 wedges.
NUTRITION PER SERVING CALORIES 433(24% from fat); FAT 11.4g (sat 4.2g,mono 5.4g,poly 1g); PROTEIN 34g; CHOLESTEROL 68mg; CALCIUM 170mg; SODIUM 709mg; FIBER 1.9g; IRON 3.6mg; CARBOHYDRATE 49g