While it looks like they have been pan fried, these cakes are actually cooked under the broiler with a minimal amount of oil. If you don't want to use full-fat sour cream, try substituting light sour cream or yogurt for the same great taste. Or jazz up the dipping sauce with extra jalapeno. Not only are these a great starter, but served with a salad, they are also a scrumptious vegetarian dinner. Heat up your broiler and keep reading for the recipe.
Black Bean and Sweet Potato Cakes
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 scallions, finely chopped
6 garlic cloves
1 shallot, finely chopped
1 jalapeno finely chopped, ribs and seeds removed, if desired
1 tablespoon ground cumin
2 (14-ounce) cans black beans
1 large sweet potato, coarsely grated
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1/2 cup dried bread crumbs
Lime and Cilantro Sour Cream
1/2 cup reduced fat sour cream
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice (about one lime)
1/8 cup cilantro, roughly chopped
1 scallion, roughly chopped
1 jalapeno, roughly chopped with ribs and seeds removed, if desired for more heat
- Heat the broiler. In a small skillet over medium heat, warm 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. Cook scallions until softened, about 1 minute. Add garlic, jalapeno, cumin, and shallot and cook until fragrant, about 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Add beans to the bowl, mash with a fork or potato masher, leaving about one quarter of beans whole. Season with salt and pepper. Fold in sweet potato, egg, and bread crumbs. Divide into equal size patties, about 2 inches in diameter.
- Brush a baking sheet with remaining tablespoon of olive oil. Place the patties on the sheet about 1/2 inch apart. Broil 4 inches from the heat until golden brown, about 8 to 10 minutes. With a thin spatula, carefully turn the cakes over. Broil until crisp, about 2 or 3 minutes.
- Lime and Cilantro Sour Cream: In a small food processor, combine sour cream, lime juice, cilantro, scallion, and jalapeno. Mix well.
- Drizzle the sour cream over the black bean and sweet potato cake or serve sour cream in a small bowl with the cakes.
- Appetizers, Vegetables