Most broccoli cheese soup recipes are loaded with cream and cheese. Not so with this vegetarian-friendly recipe. The clean, bright flavor of broccoli is most prominent. The only cheese is sprinkled on the finished soup as garnish; however, the soup has a rich, nutty depth thanks to nutritional yeast flakes. This health food store ingredient is popular among vegans and can be used to add a cheesiness to other cream sauces. To learn the uncomplicated method,
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped (1 cup)
- 2 bunches broccoli, trimmed and coarsely chopped (2 1/2 lb.)
- 3 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 11/2 Tbs. nutritional yeast flakes
- 1/8 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/8 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup fat-free half-and-half
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat Swiss cheese
- Coat 3-qt. saucepan with cooking spray. Cook onion in saucepan over medium heat 4 to 5 minutes, or until softened, stirring occasionally.
- Add broccoli, vegetable broth, and 2 cups water, and bring to boil. Stir in nutritional yeast, cumin, and nutmeg; reduce heat, and simmer, partially covered, 20 minutes, or until broccoli is tender.
- Working in batches, purée soup in food processor until smooth. Return to saucepan.
- Stir in half-and-half, and heat over low heat until hot. Season with salt and pepper, if desired. Sprinkle each serving with 1 Tbs. cheese.
- Main Dishes, Soup
- North American