To say that I have an obsession with making ice cream sandwiches is the understatement of 2007. In other words, I LOVE ice cream sandwiches. It all started out last summer when my mom bought me an ice cream maker. After I realized that I could put homemade ice cream and chewy cookies (two gigantic projects) together to make one nostalgic dessert, there was no turning back. I made chocolate cookie and vanilla ice cream, chocolate chip cookie and espresso ice cream, gingerbread cookie and pumpkin ice cream, and sugar cookies with peach ice cream. With Valentine's Day  next week I was itching to make a heart themed sandwich and found this recipe for chocolate strawberry sandwiches! (I am so excited right now, you'd think I was my cocker spaniel). I know you may not have as much free time as I do, or an ice cream machine, so I simplified the recipe by substituting store bought strawberry ice cream for the homemade stuff. To make these scrumptious sandwiches for your sweetie (I'll be making them for you dad!),
Heart Shaped Chocolate Strawberry Ice Cream Sandwiches 
From Martha Stewart 
2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
1/2 cup cocoa powder
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 large eggs
1 tablespoon milk
2 to 2 1/2 pints strawberry ice cream, softened
- In a medium bowl, sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt, and set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream butter, vanilla, and sugar. Add eggs and milk, and mix until combined.
- Add reserved flour mixture, and mix on low speed until incorporated, scraping the sides of the bowl at least once.
- Divide the dough in half, and shape each half into a flat disk. Wrap each disk in plastic wrap, and chill until firm, about 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Roll dough out on a floured surface, sliding an offset spatula under the dough to release it every few turns of the rolling pin. Roll dough to 1/8 inch thick. Cut dough using a variety of heart-shape cookie cutters 2 1/2 to 3 inches in diameter, making sure each cookie has a match to make a sandwich.
- Place hearts on a parchment-lined baking sheet; chill until firm, about 30 minutes.
- Remove from refrigerator; use a fork to prick the cookies all over with holes.
- Bake until just firm, 12 to 15 minutes. Let cool on baking sheet; transfer to a wire rack.
- With the underside of half the cookies face up, spoon softened strawberry ice cream about 1/2 inch thick to cover one side. Place matching cookie on top of ice cream, top side facing out.
- Transfer immediately to freezer to harden; repeat with remaining cookies and ice cream.
- Serve directly from the freezer. Sandwiches can be kept stored in an airtight container in the freezer for 3 to 4 days.
Makes 24 sandwiches.