When it comes to veggie burgers there are unlimited possibilities, so look beyond the typical black bean and mushroom preparations for more interesting base-ingredients. Take this recipe, for example. It uses beans, which are common, but the type — black-eyed peas — are totally new to me!
They're combined with onion, ketchup, and Worcestershire sauce to create a patty that's smoky and hearty. Serve on buns with pickles, lettuce, and tomato, like you would their meaty counterparts. Get the super-simple method for these burgers after the break.
- 2 cups cooked or canned black-eyed peas, drained
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- Vegetable oil, for brushing on the patties and the grill rack
- All-purpose flour, for dusting the patties
- 6 hamburger buns, split
- Mayonnaise or sandwich spread
- 18 bread-and-butter or dill pickle slices
- 6 tomato slices
- 6 lettuce leaves
- Prepare a medium-hot fire in a charcoal grill with a cover, or preheat a gas grill for medium-high.
- To make the patties, mash the peas in a large bowl with a fork. Add the onion, egg, salt, pepper, ketchup, and Worcestershire sauce; mix well. Divide the mixture into 6 equal portions and form the portions into patties to fit the buns. Lightly brush the patties on both sides with oil, then lightly dust with flour.
- When the grill is ready, brush the grill rack with vegetable oil. Place the patties on the rack, cover, and cook, turning once very carefully, until well browned, firm to the touch, and no longer gooey when cut into with a small, sharp knife, 5 to 6 minutes on each side.
- During the last few minutes of cooking, place the buns cut side down, on the outer edges of the rack to toast lightly.
- To assemble the burgers, generously spread the cut sides of the buns with mustard, mayonnaise, and ketchup. On each bun bottom, place a patty, 3 pickle slices, a tomato slice, and a lettuce leaf. Add the bun tops and serve.
- Main Dishes, Beans
- North American