This chocolate frosting family recipe, written by TJTalks, was uploaded and shared in the Kitchen Goddess group in the YumSugar Community. Can you say, chocolate coma?
This recipe is from my mother's sister-in-law, aunt Henrietta. My mom wrote it down on a 3x5 recipe card at one of my bridal showers 28 years ago.
For the recipe, keep reading.
- 1 cube (1/2 cup) butter
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup canned evaporated milk
2 Tablespoons cocoa powder (I use heaping instead of level)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Mix sugar and cocoa powder together with a wire whisk in a heavy bottomed saucepan. Gradually add milk whisking as you pour. Cut butter into slices and add.
- Cook over medium heat until it starts to boil, stirring almost constantly. Watch closely as it will sometimes boil over (remove pan from heart carefully or turn down flame if that starts to happen). The time will vary based on weather but let it boil gently for several minutes. It will rise toward the top of the pan then settle back down into the lower third of pan.
- Turn off the heat and add the vanilla extract. Let cool slightly (it will thicken up as it cools).
- Pour over a cake baked in a 9x13 inch baking pan (I sometimes poke holes in the cake evenly so that the frosting will seep in a little). The cake should be relatively cool when you pour the frosting over but I like to eat it while the frosting is still warm, with vanilla ice-cream of course!
- If there are any left-overs be sure to reheat in the microwave just a little before eating, it's similar to a molten lava cake in flavor and texture. It's best if you can cover it without the wrapper touching the frosting, it will lift off the cake when you remove it.
- Desserts, Frosting
Have you come across any — or come up with your own! — divine recipes lately? If so, be sure to post them to Kitchen Goddess. It's easy to upload your photos and a description of the experience, and it could be featured on YumSugar! If you're new to the YumSugar Community, here's a detailed guide on posting to groups.
POPSUGAR, the #1
independent media and technology company for women. Where more than 75 million women go for
original, inspirational content that feeds their passions and interests.