Salads don't travel as well as other dishes, especially when the greens are doused in dressing or vinaigrette. When bringing a salad to a potluck, prepare all of the elements in advance. Assemble the salad later upon arrival at the dinner. To avoid a soggy salad use the following technique:
- Always wash the greens and lettuce. Even if you purchase a washed bag of greens there are so many recalls these days, it's best to take the time and wash them.
- Throughly dry the greens in a salad spinner, colander, or with paper towels and place in the serving bowl.
- Chop or dice the vegetable elements. Store in separate containers or plastic baggies and place on top of the lettuce in the bowl.
- If using an ingredient that browns easily — like avocado — wait until the last minute to cut it.
- Make the dressing or vinaigrette and store in a small Tupperware. Place on top of the salad greens.
- Cover the entire bowl with plastic wrap or foil, grab your salad tongs and head out to the party.
Got a tip for keeping salads fresh for potlucks? Please share with us below!