Club sandwiches, like burgers or fried chicken, come in a myriad of styles and spinoffs. Some prefer turkey to chicken, rye bread to white, or aioli to mayonnaise. This recipe isn't a true classic club, as it has avocado, cheese, and mustard, but I consider it to be the best.
Here, smoky turkey and bacon complement the buttery flavors of the ripe avocado and cheddar cheese. This sandwich — fully loaded with my favorite sandwich fixings — is so good that it converted me back to eating meat after years of vegetarianism.
- 3 slices toasted white or wheat bread
- Honey mustard
- 1/2 avocado, sliced
- 3 slices smoked or roasted turkey
- 2 slices cheddar cheese
- 4 slices cooked bacon
- 1 tomato, sliced
- 1 leaf butter lettuce
- 4 toothpicks or decorative food picks
- Vegetable or potato chips (optional), for serving
- Arrange toast side by side on a clean surface. Slather mayonnaise and mustard on one side of each piece of toast.
- On first piece of toast, spread and press avocado evenly. Place turkey over avocado, and then place two slices of cheddar cheese over bread.
- Next, place second slice of toast over cheese. Snap bacon in half and place it across toast. Lay sliced tomato over bacon, and then place lettuce over tomato. Finally, place third slice of bread on top, mayonnaise side facing down.
- Pin the layers of the sandwich together by evenly and securely piercing them with toothpicks, forming a diamond pattern. With a serrated knife, cut diagonally to left and diagonally to right to form four triangle pieces, each piece secured with a toothpick.
- Split sandwich between two plates; serve alongside chips, if desired.
- Main Dishes, Sandwiches
- Makes 1 large sandwich