Ok, so I know I've been posting guilt free desserts for the past two days, but it's Friday and I think we all deserve something a little more rich and in the form of a cake. Don't worry it's not loaded with chocolate or butter, it's a really simple recipe that jazzes up a normal cake mix with lemon flavorings and poppy seeds. My brother who doesn't cook had this cake at an office party and sent me the recipe because it was "one of the most moist cakes I've ever eaten". And it comes from a box! I'm all for baking from scratch but every now and then, when you're in a hurry, taking a box mix and making it your own by adding or changing the flavors is a much needed break. For the lemon cake recipe,
Bridget's Lemon Cake
From Bridget High
For the cake
1 box of butter flavored cake mix
1 box instant vanilla pudding
5 tablespoons melted butter
½ cup of water
Juice and zest of 2 lemons, and 1 orange
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
1 teaspoon of lemon extract
Poppy seeds, optional
For the glaze
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 lemon, juiced
- Beat all ingredients together (except poppy seeds) until light and fluffy.
- If adding poppy seeds fold in at the end.
- Butter & sugar bundt pan (looks great baked in a bundt pan shaped as a rose).
- Bake according to cake box directions.
- Let stand in pan 5 minutes, place on rack to cool.
- Remove cake from pan. While cake is warm, make the glaze: mix together the lemon juice and powdered sugar.
- Brush mixture on cake. Just before serving sprinkle a little powdered sugar over cake.
Substitution: If you do not have lemon extract substitute a teaspoon of fresh lemon juice.