My third technique was the most successful. The ice cream squares sat in the freezer overnight, so they were completely frozen. I transferred the magic shell to a pint glass and cooled it ever so slightly. I punctured each of the ice cream squares with a sturdy toothpick and quickly dunked the ice cream completely in the magic shell. Since it was encased in chocolate, the ice cream had no where to melt. While it wasn't the easiest recipe to tackle, these slightly complicated chocolate-coated ice cream squares are scrumptious, so set your freezer to extra cold and keep reading for the recipe.
For the ice cream
1 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
7 egg yolks
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups half and half
1 cup heavy cream
For the magic shell
14 ounce bittersweet chocolate chips
4 tablespoons of extra-virgin coconut oil
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the sugar, salt, and egg yolks until thick and pale yellow. Set aside.
- Bring the half-and-half to a simmer in a heavy medium sauce pan; do not allow it to boil over.
- Once it's hot, slowly beat the hot half-and-half into the egg mixture in a steady stream. The half-and-half shouldn't be so hot that it will scramble the eggs. Pour the entire mixture back into the saucepan. With medium-low heat, stir constantly with a whisk or wooden spoon. The custard will thicken slightly, just enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Remove from the heat and pour the hot custard through a strainer into a large, clean bowl. Allow the custard to cool slightly, then stir in the cream and vanilla. Cover and refrigerate until cold or overnight.
- Stir the chilled custard, then freeze in 1 or 2 batches in an ice cream maker following the manufacturer’s instructions. Transfer the ice cream to a small rectangular pan and freeze for at least 2 hours.
- Place a dinner plate covered with wax paper in the freezer to chill.
- Using a knife or cookie cutter, cut the ice cream into 2-inch squares. Carefully place the squares of ice cream on the chilled plate. Allow to freeze again at least overnight.
- Place the chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl and microwave until nearly all of the chips have melted, about 1-2 minutes. Stir in the extra-virgin coconut oil and set aside. The magic shell can be placed in the fridge to cool, but keep checking so it doesn't completely cool.
- The key to dipping is to move fast, place the magic shell in a tall slender container. Place a toothpick in the edge of each ice cream square, quickly dip into the chocolate shell, place on cooled plate that is covered in wax paper. Put them back in the freezer to set at least an hour before enjoying.
Makes about 20 bars.
- Ice cream, Desserts